Suffer lower back pain. Suggested physiotherapy and no treks and strenuous activity. Suggestions?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
lower back pain since last 2 weeks... Need advice.

I had some issues with my back last week and had consulted a doctor. He had prescribed for some xrays, the report of which are attached. The doctor has advised for physio and has recommended not to go for any treks or strenuous thing

Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like Spondylolisthesis of L5 over S1.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your xrays. Your cervical spine xray shows loss of cervical lordosis with straightening, which indicates muscle spasm.

Your Lumbar spine xrays (Lateral view xray is not clear and is not visualizing the sacrum) shows the possibility of Grade 1 spondylolisthesis of L5 over S1 (which indicates anterior movement or slip of one vertebra over the other). This anterior slip causes narrowing of neural foramen and thereby compresses the traversing nerve.

The initial management of this condition is always conservative by the following means -

* You should take a break from sports and other activities until the pain subsides. Avoid excessive forward bending and lifting weights
* Analgesics and Muscle relaxants might be recommended to help reduce pain, inflammation (irritation and swelling) and spasm.
* Maintain optimum body weight, in case if you are obese as overweight tends to worsen this condition
* A brace or Lumbosacral back support might be useful to help stabilize the lower back and reduce pain
* Physical therapy — Stabilization exercises are the mainstay of treatment. These exercises strengthen the abdominal and back muscles, minimizing bony movement of the spine. Generally, eight to 12 weeks of aggressive daily
treatment with stabilization exercises are needed to achieve clinical improvement

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further