Suffer lack of control over urination. Suspected UTI. Ideas?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My son is almost 9 years old and I am concerned with his lack of control over urination. He feels no discomfort when peeing, so I don't suspect a UTI. We toilet trained him around 2 1/2 years old, and for a stretch he was staying dry through the nights. However, that stopped and for several years now he has been wetting every night (wears pull-ups), has daytime accidents a few times a week, and always has wet underwear from leakage through the day. He rarely feels the urge to pee, so we are often reminding him to use the toilet throughout the day, and training him to take every opportunity to pee while at school so that he isn't having too many accidents at school.
Our doctor has told us for years to just wait it out, but I am worried because we are not seeing any progress. He can have a daytime accident even within an hour or so of having gone pee, and never felt the urge nor the pee coming out. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Inability to control urination above 5 years needs to be investigated fully.
I would generally start with ultrasound abdomen before and after urinating to assess bladder capacity and post void residual urine.
It may reveal less bladder capacity or incomplete voiding .
If all these are normal you may need to get him fully evaluated for neurological problems and urodynamic studies which may be needed in some kids .
There are methods to improve continence like bed wetting alarm which you try initially.
Medicines like desmopresin given as nasal sprays for this problem should not be started without full evaluation.
Wishing your kid speedy recovery.
Dr Arun
Follow-up: Suffer lack of control over urination. Suspected UTI. Ideas? 3 days later
Thanks, we have an appt set with the family doctor next week. She has always advised patience, but I feel we are better equipped to have the conversation now.
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Wishing your kid speedy recovery.
Do let me know if you need anymore details .
Dr Arun