Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffer from nocturia and frequent urination with pain. Sonography showed mild prostatitis. Prescribed asfusin. What should I do?

i am 41 yrs since few months i am suffering from nocturia and i urinate completely in one go but i frequently do so with every time good flow and volume ,i suffer from pain in back sometimes.
i consulted urologist got sonography done which showed mild prostatitis , i had urine infection with enterobacter for which i am taking cefixime from last 7 days and amikacin from last 2 days as per culture report.
doctor has also given asfusin 10 mg oD , i still have problem of nocturia in my view and as i read alfusin helps to increase urine out put so what should i do ? pl suggest thanks
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 36 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

As you have been confirmed of having mild prostatitis and UTI(nocturia.
According to the culture sensitivity report you are already on i suggest you to continue them as per advise of your treating physician.

Regarding Alfusin10mg, which is effective in nocturia caused by BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia).But it is negative by ultrasound in your case. So i dont think it will help you in this regard.

So i suggest you to complete full course of antibiotics as prescribed by your treating doctor and then go for culture sensitivity to rule out whether the infection is completely cured or not.

If you need any further clarifications,
get back to us.

Follow-up: Suffer from nocturia and frequent urination with pain. Sonography showed mild prostatitis. Prescribed asfusin. What should I do? 11 hours later
pl tell how frequency of urination will come down

Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 3 hours later
Welcome back,

The frequency of the urination depends on the severity of infection. So once the infection is resolved, you should be feeling better - back pain, burning urination and frequency of urination will be better once the infection is resolved..

Based on the details provided, you should be able to see some progress day by day. If symptoms persist, the sensitivity of infective organism needs to be reviewed by tests. .

Prostatitis needs antibiotics for longer time because of the poor penetration of antibiotics in to prostatic tissue. Nevertheless, symptoms should recover gradually. So continue using antibiotics for correct course period recommended by your treating doctor.

Let me know if you need clarifications.