Suddenly noticed large bruises on lower belly. What it could be?

Infertility Specialist
I woke this morning with two large, unexlained bruises on my lower belly. One just above my pubic bone and a large on on my right lower belly. I am not on blood thinners, nor do I get shots in my belly or anything.
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 49 minutes later

Spontaneous and unexplained bruising is usually associated with trauma. Other causes such as drug induced and coagulation problems need to be ruled out if you are very sure there was no traumatic incident.

On the other hand since you mentioned that you found the bruise after waking up, perhaps this was caused by unknown bruising / pressure while sleeping.

Anyway, it would be a wise idea to report this issue to a nearby healthcare provider. You can get a few tests such as platelet count, coagulation profile and peripheral smear test to rule out other causes.

Hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: Suddenly noticed large bruises on lower belly. What it could be? 6 hours later
I sleep on my back so it can't be an injury from sleeping. It is not a medication reaction either.
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 33 hours later
Well its two days now since you had observed the bruise. I would like to know what is the condition of the bruises now. I mean, whether they are increasing in size or darkening and whether you have got any new lesion?
If they are decreasing in size, I think you need not worry and just be patient. As I said spontaneous bruising cannot be explained always. Just keep an eye on it.
Thanking you,would be happy to know more from you.
good luck
Follow-up: Suddenly noticed large bruises on lower belly. What it could be? 3 hours later
One seems to be fading fine but the other is 'crawling' for lack of a better word to the right. That is the one on my lower right abdomen that is fading on the left side of the bruise but growing proportionately larger on the right side of itself, keeping it's general size and shape. I outlined it in sharpie the first day. What does it sound like?
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back
Well if the bruise is growing, I think it needs to be examined clinically. We dont want to be missing out on a bleed. Please see your physician and we can take this ahead.