Suddenly felt throbbing and pulsating vein in neck. Should I be worried?

All of a sudden my left neck is throbbing every few minutes and feels like a.pulsating vein. Should I be worried?
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     39 year old male
•     Known case of HIV and high blood pressure
•     Complaints of: throbbing sensation in left side of neck

You case is interesting and but difficult too because of medical morbidities and limited information. I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     High blood pressure: Monitor your BP daily
•     Anemia (low hemoglobin): get your complete blood count done.
•     Anxiety disorder and stress: need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Neurological problem: get opinion from neurologist. MRI brain may be needed to rule out pathology.

Final message to you: Do not worry about symptoms, follow above advice, stop substance use if any and take multi vitamins.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.