Suddenly felt light headed, dizzy and started sweating on forehead. What is the problem?

Nov 2013

Hi yesterday evening i sitting on the dinner table and i suddenly felt light headed, dizzy and everything looked brighter. It felt as if i will fall down and will throw up if I eat. I went and lay down and it lasted for 10 - 15 min. Then i was sweating on my forehead.
It was dinner time and i was hungry but i suddenly lost my appetite
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 25 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

There are two likely possibilties for your symptoms last evening:

1. Peripheral vertigo- in this condition, dizziness is accompanied by nausea (a feeling of vomiting). Symptoms may worsen with head or neck movements. It is self limiting in nature and improves on its own.

Betahistine tablets may be used for symptomatic relief of dizziness.

2. Pre-syncope- this refers to a feeling of near fainting, associated with weakness and sweating. This may occur when tired/exhausted or hungry (as in your case).

Please screen for the risk factors such as diabetes, high BP, cholesterol, etc.

There is no need to worry at present. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad