Sudden weight gain, sleepiness. Diagnosed of hypothyroidism. Taken medication. Weed smoker. Could it be a side effect of medication?

General Surgeon
I was diagnosed with under active thyroid through a random blood test, as far as I know I had no symptoms, since medication I now notice side effects such as massive weight gain and sleepiness, I mean fall asleep on a needle, I smoke weed and wonder if this would show that I have a thyroid problem when in fact I do not? Could this be a possibility? It seems before medication I was ok?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 5 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

The medication used for treating an underactive thyroid or hypothyroidism does not cause sleepiness and weight gain. Rather, it would increase your energy levels and stimulate your metabolism.
Smoking weed on a long term basis does not affect the function of your thyroid gland, although on a short term basis, it would cause a decrease in the function of the thyroid gland.
The unexpected sleepiness and weight gain can be due to multiple other causes including a lack of exercise and an issue with the dietary habits.
I would suggest that you get some exercise and eat healthy and see if it continues. If it does, please see your physician for an evaluation.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.