Sudden fever, vomiting, has bronchitis, covered with hives. Suggestion?

My son age 6, 4 feet tall, 62 lbs. has bronchitis and has been covered with hives for the past 48 hrs. He had a sudden fever that lasted only last night (100.7). Within the past hour he has thrown up 4 times. Should I take him to the ER?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.

Your son has been covered with hives from the past 48 hours. He also had fever with vomiting. He also suffers from Bronchitis.

I would like to know a few things which will help me to answer you better.

1 Did you give these medicines like Azithromycin and Opared after consulting your Physician?

2. Has he taken medicines like Azithromycin previously?

3. Has your son touched any plants like poison Ivy or eaten anything that has triggered these hives?

You seem to have given him Azithromycin and Opared for his Bronchitis. Azithromycin has the tendency to cause hives or rashes in some people. If you have not given him this before, it is better you stop it for now and consult your Physician. Benadryl is the right treatment for itching and allergic reactions.

You will certainly need to go to an emergency room.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have no further queries you may accept my answer.

Follow-up: Sudden fever, vomiting, has bronchitis, covered with hives. Suggestion? 40 hours later
The hives, fever and vomiting came before he took any medications. The medicines were prescribed 24 hours into him being sick. He has taken all the medications before without any adverse side effects. I did take him in to the ER and they don't know what is causing the hives. Is it possible for his body to have an allergic reaction to a virus? Is that something that is possible?
Answered by Dr. Radhika 31 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

It is possible that the hives, fever and vomiting in his case were caused by some external factors such as an allergy to pollen, food allergy or a viral infection like chicken pox.

Please look out for any rash that he develops.
Please continue with the medication that has been given to him. His complaints would gradually get better with time. However, if they do not get subside or get worse with time, I suggest you see a dermatologist who can perform an examination and direct appropriate therapy.

I hope that I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.