Sudden awakening from sleep, heart racing, high blood pressure, ringing in ears. Causes for heart racing ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
LATELY WHILE I AM SLEEPING I SUDDENLY WAKE UP MY HEART IS RACING AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS UP. THIS HAPPENS ALL NIGHT.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Follow-up: Sudden awakening from sleep, heart racing, high blood pressure, ringing in ears. Causes for heart racing ? 4 minutes later
I HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT POSITIONS, NOTHING HAS WORKED. IT BEEN GOING ON FOR MONTHS. ALL OF A SUDDEN MY HEART JUST STARTS RACING. I DO SUFFER FROM RINGING IN MY EAR, THATS HOW I CAN TELL ABOUT MY BP LEVEL.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later

Sudden tachycardia with rise in blood pressure during sleeping might happen due to-

1) Anxiety and stress
2) Anemia
3) Hyperthyroidism
4) Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia
5) Heart disorders

I suggest you to get examined from a Physician and get your Hemoglobin level tested, also thyroid function tests and an EKG and stress ECHO ruled out. An ECHO is needed to check out the recent functioning of the heart.

Stress, anxiety and increased caffeine intake before going to sleep can also cause tachycardia with ringing in the ears. Try to remain relaxed and do XXXXXXX breathing exercises to help.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.