Stung by a wasp. Got fever and numbness, feeling weakness. How could a bee sting have done all of this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My very strong husband who is not allergic to anything we know of, was stung a month ago by a Wasp... the arm that was stung just above the (R) elbow later exhibited numbness, then later still, some fever... which within a few days traveled farther up the arm a few inches and my Husband has also indicated he has extreme 'weakness' in that arm now with extremely impaired range of motion (he's unable to bring that arm (without pain, that is) above his head. How could a bee sting have done all of this?
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 48 minutes later

Bee sting can do all of these things, I am trying to explain you that this could happen.

Body's reaction to a bee sting differs significantly from person to person.

Body immune system produces antibody in response to an allergen. in your husband case it is bee sting.

The antibody releases chemicals like histamine that can cause life threatening allergic reaction that can occur without any previous symptoms of allergy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Stung by a wasp. Got fever and numbness, feeling weakness. How could a bee sting have done all of this? 24 minutes later

I already know everything you just stated above as I know how to Google.... but please, can you tell me WHY my Husband's arm experiencing pain and STILL so weak? why he has is having problems with pain & weakness a month later?

I understand the 'initial' reactions of bee stings, I'm just having some difficulty understanding WHY my Husband is still having difficulties a month later? Is it possible the poison from the sting has impaired muscle or nerve functions? Could these be permanent?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later

I am afraid I could not address your most pressing concern the last time. Let me try and do that here. Although it is extremely unusual, there are rare case reports of wasp stings causing a condition called peripheral neuropathies. This is a condition where the peripheral nerves which supply the sensation and muscles of a particular limb.
So this could present in various ways like cause numbness, motor weakness, burning, tingling. Etc.
What we need to do here is to get him examined by a neurologist. A formal neurological examination would be required to first assess the extent of the damage. We would them like run some tests like a nerve conduction velocity and an electromyography,
Following this, we would like to start looking for possible causes. It would be premature on our part to ascribe this to a wasp sting. We must rule out other causes of peripheral neuropathies ( diabetes, amyloidosis, nutritional issues and several other causes can cause a peripheral neuropathy)
Once we know the cause, we would know whether the damage is permanent or not.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you need any more help.

Follow-up: Stung by a wasp. Got fever and numbness, feeling weakness. How could a bee sting have done all of this? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr..... that response was very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 24 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
I am glad to know I could address your concerns. Please get your husband to a physician.
If you have no more questions, please close this discussion.