Struggling with weight and pain in tummy. Diagnosed with glandular fever. Suggest ways to reduce weight?

Feb 2013

My daughter has been struggling with her weight and intermittent pain in both her right and left side of tummy, since having glandular fever diagnosed in January this year. She was doing competitive swim training until 2 weeks ago (she has been at boarding school and taking last A level exams, she is 17) and is now home to try and get some rest. She has said that she was eating sensibly while away and now home I can see that she is eating a low amount of calories and still is going to the gym most days. Her weight dropped slightly but has gone back up again today and she is getting very upset by it. Everyone is slim in our family and we can't work out what's wrong. It is upsetting her. Have you any ideas?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Before advising you on her weight, I need some details about her.

What is her present weight and height (in kilograms and centimeters)?

Is weight gain is recent or gradual since childhood?

Does she take junk food too often?

With your description she looks like an active child and not sedentary.

There are many causes of excess weight like genetic, consumption of junk and high calorie food, and underlying endocrinological and hormonal problems.

She needs physical examination and investigations to rule out endocrinal and hormonal reasons such as hypothyroidism, adrenal gland hormonal imbalances such as cushing syndrome which are associated with excess weight.

For her tummy pain, an ultrasound abdomen after clinical examination, will rule out any significant problem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know along with the details I have asked.

Follow-up: Struggling with weight and pain in tummy. Diagnosed with glandular fever. Suggest ways to reduce weight? 27 minutes later
weight 65 kilos
height 173cm
This might not sound a lot but we are all tall but small built so she is carrying a lot of excess
All family are slim so not genetic
Weight gain since she had glandular fever
No-one eats junk food and last week she has been eating a small amount of calories, mostly fruit veg and chicken, but putting on weight
She goes to the gym most days for at least 1 hour and runs
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

As per CDC growth charts her weight and height are in normal range, so nothing to worry.

Her BMI is 21.72 and it comes under healthy weight.

In adolescence, boys and girls want to be slim with perfect body. But due to hormonal changes around this age group there are some variations and disproportions in height and weight which they will feel worrisome.

But as the age grows, these things will get corrected and they will maintain a proportionate body size with balanced diet and reasonable daily exercises.

I appreciate her concern on her weight, food, and work outs in gym and I advise to continue.

I advise you to rule out thyroid hormone abnormalities at present by doing thyroid profile test after consulting her doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.