Stringy stools. Due to change in diet or worm infestation?

General Surgeon
I am 56 years old. I am a bit constipated. Some of my stool was hanging from what looked like a string. When I used a tissue to examine it more closely, it looked like a bunch of tough fibers, whitish-brownish in color. They appear rather long, like maybe an inch or two. What could that be? Worms? The fibers were not moving. I don't have any itching. I eat a lot of raw vegetables, but nothing that has strings that look like that. Should I see a doctor?
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

The colour and consistency of stool depend on the type of diet consumed, infection and other local factors.

Worm infestation commonly Enterobius vermicularis (pin worm) can mimic the symptoms described by you. It is common in individuals who consume raw vegetables. Though itching is common association in a case of pin worm infestation it can be absent in a few cases.

A direct examination of the stool under a microscope (stool examination) will rule out presence of worm infestation. So the first thing you should do is to get the stool examination done to find the exact type and variety of worms. Once confirmed by the stool examination about type and variety of worms, you can De-worm yourself by taking appropriate antihelmenthic drug in right doses. Your local physician can help you with the test and deworming process.

I don't feel what you are experiencing is a serious concern. Visit your local doctor for the right treatment.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”