Stressed due to overbearing in-laws. How should I react?

I have two daughters one ten years and one is aged one year. I am facing stress at home due to overbearing inlaws. My husband is only son. I do not have freedom to do anything at home like food as per my choice. Spouse works long hours and not really at home as reaches home late. Both MIL and FIL do not have anything to keep themselves gainfully occupied. They are forever bitching behind my back about how i do not do any work etc. cribbing even to maids. We have told them to stay separately in their own house but they are creating problems, trying to involve other family members (outside our home). please suggest how should i react
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 6 hours later
Thanks for the query
It seems a host of psychosocial problems is the reason for stress. But, it may not be fair to come to same conclusion from a brief description that you have given.

Sometimes, it may be other way round, means, individuals who are having depressive or anxiety symptoms are likely to be oversensitive, irritable, perceive small problems as big etc

Kindly answer me the following questions.
1. Is your husband aware of your concerns?
2. Have you tried to solve this issue by discussing with your partner and it has failed or you are not able to in spite of your best effort?
3. To what extent your husband approve of the idea of sending in-laws to separate house? Are they having any illness?

a. In such situations, most important step is to keep your nerve cool
b. Analyze your husband’s view point carefully, realistically, from husbands point of view for a while so as to take husband into confidence, who may be of key support to you

Kindly answer me and If you are not satisfied, which is likely to be, because of the nature of problem, you can call me through health care magic for further problem solving oriented and assessment of the situation oriented counseling/discussion.

Hope this piece of information will motivate you to try to solve the situation further.

I am available for further query and I will be glad to receive a call from you.

Thank you