Strep throat,red and swollen gums

my daughter has strep throat and has started anitbiotics today. however she also has red and swollen gums that look infected. Is this part of the same illness or opportunistic?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 3 hours later

The streptococcal pharyngitis and the gum erythema are part of the same inflammatory process due to the infection. Since the antibiotics have been started already, it will help to clear the infection and your daughter will be back to normal in a few days.

In addition to the antibiotics, use of advil for kids will help the inflammation to resolve faster.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.