Strep throat, UTI, side effects from Avelox. Cipro advisable?

I was recently prescribed Avelox for a UTI and possible strep throat. After two days of taking it, I had the worst side-effects I have ever experienced from a medication (weakness, body aches - especially in my legs, inability to concentrate, seeing things). I called my doctor, told him what happened and he prescribed Cipro. I noticed it was a similar medication. Is it logical for me to be wary about taking it?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 minutes later

I can understand your concern because both Avelox (moxifloxacin) and Ciprofloxacin belong to the group called fluoroquinolones and if you are having side effects to Avelox, it is very much likely that you may show side effects to Cipro as well.

You can talk to your doctor and get prescribed other antibiotics like cephalosporins, macrolides or penicillin group of antibiotics.

Also drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges.

Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician. Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea would also help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.