Stopped taking yaz, developed low blood pressure. Diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension. Is this common?

i stopped taking yaz and developed very low blood pressure about two weeks after. I was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension. i am trying to get my blood pressure back up with salt but it isn't working great. is this common?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 27 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

It is relatively uncommon for blood pressure to fluctuate significantly after discontinuation of birth control. However, there may be somewhat of a hormonal fluctuation which is going on your situation and this might lead to issues with blood pressure.

In addition, hormonal medications can cause water retention. Now in your case without the hormone medication you might have less water retention which would lead to lower blood pressure.

Usually this type of fluctuation will eventually reach equilibrium and your blood pressure should return to a more normal level.

At the same time it is reasonable for your doctor to monitor your vital signs and possibly check laboratory tests to make sure there is no other problem other things which might affect blood pressure include thyroid gland dysfunction. These are things with your doctor can check with a blood test.

Again I think your symptoms should slowly improve over the next several weeks or possibly a couple of months. I would continue to support your blood pressure with good hydration and a well-balanced diet.

Thank you again for sending your question. I hope you find my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns please let me know.

Dr. Robert