Stopped taking pills for breast cancer after chemotherapy. Reason for mild increase in ESR level?

My mom is around 63 she had stage 1 breast cancer. Her chemotherapy and radiotherapy were finished about 3 months ago. Since her cancer type was triple negative she does not take pills after her treatment. For following up her condition, her blood was tested last week and her ESR is 44 while the normal range is less than 30. What does it mean? It means that her body did not respond to the therapy positively?

With best regards,

Some other results of her test:

WBC 7.1 unit x10*3/micl
RBC 4.55 unit x10*6/micl
Hemoglobin 11.4
Hematocrite 37
M.C.V 81.32
M.C.H 25.05
M.C.H.C 30.81
ESR H 44 mm/1hr normal range 0-30
Platelets 316 unit x10*3/micl

CA 15-3 8.7 U/ml
CEA 1.4 ng/ml

Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later

I have seen all the test reports. The mild increase in ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate) might be due to mild anaemia that your mother is having. The less than normal levels of haemoglobin can cause such a marginal rise of ESR. This is not suggestive of any failure of therapy she had for breast carcinoma.

Since both the tumor markers - CA-15 and CEA are within normal limits, there is nothing to worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.