Stopped breastfeeding, later had two periods in a month followed by fleshy bits in urine. Cause of concern?

I have just weaned my son from breastfeeding about 2 weeks ago and in the past month I have had two periods and just started spotting again tonight. I also have noticed (today) pink, fleshy bits of something in my urine. I am experiencing no abnormal pains. I am wondering if the pink bits in my urine are something I should be concerned about?
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 24 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

During the process of weaning from breast feeding, you are still going to experience irregularity in terms of when you ovulate. This might be experiences as irregular bleeding, periods of no bleeding, or irregular bleeding. It is not until you are at least a couple of months from breast-feeding that you will likely settle into a more normal cycle.

So the irregular spotting is not unusual. In all cases of irregular bleeding, it is always recommended to take a pregnancy test just to be sure that this is not an issue. As far as the 'flecks' of tissue, I am also going to say that this sounds normal. It might just represent 'old' lining that has just been sitting quietly, not shedding while you breast feed. I would not worry about it too much.

It might be confusing whether the flecks in the urine are coming from the bladder or the vagina. If they persist, the only other thought is that you need to go in to your doctor and have a UA checked to make sure you do not have an infection.

I hope that this helps and good luck!