Stomach protruding, no flatulence, weight gain, nausea, spotting, have IUD. What can I do?

Infertility Specialist
I am 41 y.o, for one month my stomach has popped out-appears I am 5 months pregnant. Bowels qd, no flatulence. I have nausea x 1 month, resolves w/ eating, LLQ abd stabs. seven lb. weight gain in 5 weeks, feels like L) abd ridges. Also, I have a darkening line from pubic bone up 3/4 way to navel. My breasts are denser-though not sore. Was due for Endoscopy to r/o GI today, then MD came in, we met, and she cancelled d/t ? pregnancy. I called OB office, they declined another U/S. I had one one month ago-cyst R). I had a IUD placed 5 months ago, and spotted til 1/22-then stopped x 9 days. I saw PCP 2 days ago, he pressed firmly to my LLG-painful, then that night I started spotting again and continues. I can not go further with upper/lower GI series til pregnancy r/o. My PCP, and OB offices did not return my calls today. What can I do. HCG level hx-I do not test + til 8 weeks. I am stressed and getting no where.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thank you for asking question. I request you to provide me some more information in answers to the questions below. This will help me in better understanding of your problem.

1) Please tell full form of LLQ-is it left lower quadrant?

2) Please tell full form of LLG

3) Have done an urine pregnany test?

4) Serum beta hCG level you can get tested for pregnancy but you have mentioned you donot test. May I know why.

5) The sudden weight gain is of 7 lb. Weight before gain was checked on same weighing scales or different weighing scales ?

Please get back to me with answers. It will be easier for me to answer accurately and advice.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Stomach protruding, no flatulence, weight gain, nausea, spotting, have IUD. What can I do? 11 hours later
I am weighing myself on the same scale. Yes, the pain is in the LLQ, CT scan r/o diverticulitis.It is sometimes a dull, then progressive pain for a few minutes, or a quick one time sharp pain. When I press the site after the sharp pain, within 30 sec, I then have a dull pain. H. Pylori is neg. My last pregnancy-my HCG level did not show + until 8 weeks, therefore the tests I have done so far are neg, am going to check again in next few weeks. Right now if I am, I am only about 6 1/2 weeks. I must add, I am also a smoker..I know, QUIT. Can the smoking alter a HCG level?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thank you for answering the queries.

After reviewing the details provided, following are my advice to you :

1. Please get serum beta Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) done. It is very sensitive parameter for diagnosing pregnancy. Despite your claim that your previous hCG test didn’t turn positive until 8 weeks, I am sure you will come to know your pregnancy status this time if you do serum beta beta hCG right now.

2. Smoking has no impact on hCG levels.

3. You say your gynecologist has refused repeat scan. If it is possible to get scan, please get a transvaginal scan to check the status of ovaries. Left lower quadrant could be due to ovarian cyst or torsion of ovary. You can also see a gestational sac if you are 6 and half week pregnant.

4. I would also suggest you to get your urine tested - urine culture & sensitivity test as abdominal pain.

5. If pregnancy is ruled out, then sudden weight gain could be either due to excessive fatty and high calorie food intake coupled with sedentary lifestyle.

Hope this answers your query. Yet if you have any further queries, I am available to help you. Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my response.

Wish you good health