Stomach pain, burning joint, muscle pain, feeling cold. Eaten sushi. Is it food poisoning?

my boyfriend is having severe stomach pains, painful burning joints, his muscles are hurting and he claims to be very cold though he is burning up to the touch. he had sushi earlier today. could this just be food poisoning or something else? should i take him to the emergency room or is this something he will be fine to ride out on his own. he seems to be in alot of pain, has been lying in bed in the fetal postion for the past hour, though he started feeling funny several hours ago (around 7pm).
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 34 minutes later
I understand your concern. It could be food poisoning or it could be a viral illness as well. I think you need to give him plenty of fluids, particularly oral rehydration fluids. Give him Tablet Tylenol 1 tablet as and when required ( upto 4 tablets daily). He should be able to handle this on his own. If the pain continues unabated ( it should settle down in a couple of hours), please take him to the ER. He would need a shot of an anti-cholinergic like hyoscine or dicyclomine.
Let me know if you have any more questions.