Stomach is big after second child and hole is not visible in the centre. Give details regarding hernia and is it curable in preliminary stage?

what is hernia and how it is curable if it is preliminay stage.
after giving birth to my second girl baby in the month of XXXXXXX now i am feeling my stomach has become big and hole is not visible in centre
Pls suggest in this regard, we staying bangalore
email : YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need clarification...

Detailed Answer:

Hernia in simple terms in a lump/mass formed due to defective abdominal wall or other enclosing wall. The defect in the wall causes expulsion of contents within the wall. The expelled content form a lump which is visualized or felt upon palpation.

From what I understand, you have similar lump formed around the region of umbilicu (hole). This mass formed is disfiguring the umbilicus making it distorted. If this is what you meant, then you are right; it could be a case of umbilical hernia.
If you did not mean this, then you can clarify better by posting a good quality picture of the affected area on this page using the site's uploader provided here.

Presuming you meant umbilical hernia, then the first and the most important treatment is reducing weight. Weight reduction is not only important to reduce hernia, but it plays a major role in preventing complication as well as improves success rate of later treatment. Upon weight reduction, if hernia continues to exist and cause problems, it is treated with surgery.

Hope this helps. Write back with pictures for further discussion.

Follow-up: Stomach is big after second child and hole is not visible in the centre. Give details regarding hernia and is it curable in preliminary stage? 51 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,

Is Umbilical hernia can be cured by homeopathy medicine ( oil applied on umbilical and stomach area ) because homeopathy doctor says it comes due to weak body and it is in preliminary stage and my present weight is 61 kgs ( only stomach area looks big ) and they suggest not to do any abdominal exercise and not to lift any weight.

Kindly suggest the remedy and which specialized doctor to be consulted.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to see a surgeon...

Detailed Answer:

Yes, umbilical hernia is caused by defective abdominal wall. The defect can be caused by weakness.

I am not sure if any medicine will cure this defect. There are no scientific proof that medicine can cure this defect. Strengthening the muscles with trained exercise can help. You may need to use good abdominal supports too. The surgeons can inform you about the support and exercise.

Abdominal exercise that are performed without guidance can be detrimental. In addition any other activity that puts pressure on the abdominal organs can worsen this situation. Therefore it is important to avoid constipation and chronic cough. You will have to see a doctor at the earliest if you develop constipation and persistent cough.

Lastly it is better to consult a competent surgeon once and get this evaluated for better understanding and informed decision making.

Hope this information suffices.