Stomach cramping, nausea, cough, unprotected sex. Pregnant?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had unprotected sex on 9/7, my period ended on 9/3, ive been havin light cramping since 9/10, i get nauseous when i dont eat, now i have this cough that wont go away.. Could i be pregnant?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 minutes later

When did your period begin?
How long do your cycles usually last for?
Do you have any vaginal discharge, spotting?
Are you having irregular cycles?
Do you have abdominal pain, abdominal distention?

Usually in a regular 28 day, conception will take place if unprotected sex occurs near or on 14th day before next periods begin. This coincides with time of ovulation.

In your case, sexual intercourse was attempted on 4th day after menses which gives less chance of conception but it is hard to confirm unless I know your details of when your menses begun and regularity of your cycles as these influence the dates and chance of conception.

There are no sure symptoms of pregnancy especially nausea and cramping. Cramping can occur as part of possible hormone influence or even in pathological conditions of reproductive tract. Sometimes abdominal cramps can appear due to possible gastrointestinal disturbance which can be associated with nausea.

You may opt to get urine pregnancy test done if you miss your periods the next month.

Cough is not related to pregnancy or the recent sexual activity. You might be having a respiratory tract inflammation. Cough syrups, steam inhalation might be beneficial. Consult your doctor if the cough is severe.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Stomach cramping, nausea, cough, unprotected sex. Pregnant? 4 hours later
My last period started on the 30th of august and ended on the 4th of September, I cycle length is 26 days, I havent have any discharge, no abodominal pain or any irregular cycles..
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 7 hours later
Hello again,

According to your cycle duration you will ovulate on Day 12 prior to the next cycle. You have had unprotected sexual intercourse on the 4th day which means the chances of pregnancy is extremely remote.

You may consult your Doctor and get evaluated for your cough and nausea which may be a result of an infection.

Use a condom or get on the pill after discussing with your Doctor to avoid unwanted pregnancies.