Stomach burning, gas, acidity, indigestion, bloating. Have type 2 diabetes. Want to make sure this is only gastritis

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Brief Medical History –

1.I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 1 years back , with HBA1 10 , after proper diet control , my HBA1C reduced to the value of 6 (currently I am not taking any medicine for that)

2. 3 months back I was diagnosed marginal with high TSH while normal T3 & T4 (subclinical Hyperthroidism) , but not tested since last 3 months and not taking any medicine for that.

Current Problem

1. on 1st January after Gym workout I felt burning in stomach since than I am having a continous problem , GAS , Acidity burning on upper part of stomach , indigestion , bloating , .

2. Problem start generally 1-2 hour after eating , evenings , in the middle of the night or early morning , mainly in stomach, problem gets relieved if I eat something . I never Had such problems in past.

3. I don’t have constipation , Diahrea or pain. Its just stomach discomfort , burning , bloating , indigestion.

4. The problem started almost 2 months back , I haven’t lost much weight only may be around 1 Kg , because I reduced my diet intake little bit.

My question -
1.I have shown to a Gastro specialist & he conducted Endoscopy , and found "hyperemia & edema" of antrum (Antaral Gastritis) no ulcer, & no biopsy is done, he prescribed me Normaxin & Rebonic (proton pump inhibitor) for 1 week
2.I am feeling better since I have started these medicines, I just want to make sure that it is only Gastritis & not a serious condition (like any malignancy) , in how much time it will be cured if I continue to take these medicines ,
3.I have read in internet that gastritis is mainly caused by H pylori bacteria , than why my doctor has not prescribed any antibiotic for this.

4.Can this gastritis can be due to autoimmune condition

5.Do i need any further tests for my conditions

6.My doctor has not prescribed any special diet , do you think no diet changes are required for this.

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 7 hours later

To answer your questions:

Usually a 6 week course of antacids should cure your problem. If it doesn’t then you should go for H pylori detection.

For it to be diagnosed as H pylori infection you need to undergo urease breath test and culture of the scrapings.

Diabetes is known to cause slowing of bowel function. It can also cause gall stones due to associated increase in cholesterol. This may perhaps be the cause of your symptoms.

Get an Ultrasonogram (USG) abdomen done to look for gall stones.

It is advisable that you have strict control of sugar levels by medications, exercise, and dietary modification. Avoid oily fried foods and spicy foods. Eat frequent small portions.

Monitor your blood sugar regularly and be in constant touch with your physician.

Follow this for the next 12 weeks. I am sure you will be relieved of your GI problems.

Follow-up: Stomach burning, gas, acidity, indigestion, bloating. Have type 2 diabetes. Want to make sure this is only gastritis 10 hours later
Thank you doctor
1.As you have indicated that this can be due to Gall stones , my question is if it is due to Gall stone than will an antacid can cure its symptoms as i m getting so much relief from my medication

2. Also if i go for a ultrasound and if Suppose Gall stones are detected than shall i go for a surgery , i have heard that stones cause a lot of pain and i have never experienced any pain (only burning due to acidity)

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 9 hours later

Gall stones cause a combination of symptoms referred to as flatulent dyspepsia. (indigestion, bloating after a fatty meal, etc.) Antacids may give partial relief of symptoms.

If ultrasound detects stones then the best treatment modality is laparoscopic removal of the gall bladder.

Stones give rise to severe symptoms only in a few patients. Also in diabetics the course may be silent and you may not experience the typical pain.

Follow-up: Stomach burning, gas, acidity, indigestion, bloating. Have type 2 diabetes. Want to make sure this is only gastritis 43 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,
I will definitely get an ultrasound to check for diet , being a diabetic & having high LDL , i normally avoid butter , & saturated fats , instead I eat 20 almonds every day ,
Based on your experience can you tell us if eating so much almonds is good for stomach , can it cause stomach irritation & gastritis.

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 minutes later

I feel you should reduce the intake of almonds to not more than 5-6 per day. Reduce the intake of saturated fats immediately.

Get your diet chart prepared for you by a qualified medical dietician who has experience in managing complex medical patients.

Follow-up: Stomach burning, gas, acidity, indigestion, bloating. Have type 2 diabetes. Want to make sure this is only gastritis 16 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for answering , my last question is -
1.During my endoscopy I was diagnosed with Antral Gastritis (hypereimia & edema of antrum only) , also lets assume after getting ultrasound Gall stones were also detected , now how will I know if my symptoms are due to Gastritis or due to Gall stones.

2.How common is gastritis (i.e Hyperemia & edema of antrum) in people

3.I have read on internet that for Asymtomatic gall stones surgery is not required as many people in world are living with Gall stone, I am not afraid from surgery , but I just want to know which condition really causing my sysmtoms.

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later

Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Antral gastritis should respond and get cured by a proper course of antacids.
If the gall stones are multiple and exhibit post acoustic shadowing on ultrasound, then the gall bladder has to be removed. Asymptomatic gall stones can be left untreated only in individuals greater than 60 yrs. You are only 30 yrs old. Not removing the gallbladder in your case can cause complications (including causing a malignant change) in view of the fact that you have diabetes. Hence it is wise to remove the gall bladder before these things can happen.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Please close this discussion if you are satisfied with my answers.
Warm regards