Stomach bloating and acidic feeling with lower back pain. What should be done?

Hi I have stomach bloating and acid feeling with lower back pain. I am a 40 year old male. What should I do to sort bloating?
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing your query to us.

Bloating is commonly caused by intestinal gas. One cause is eating foods that create gas. Swallowing air while eating is often done unconsciously and may result in frequent belching during or after meals. To avoid swallowing air, slow down when eating, don't 'slurp' drinks, and don't talk while chewing.

Foods that commonly cause gas are: Broccoli, Brussels, sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Corn, Potatoes, Wheat & lactose. Try to reduce intake.

You can try following this to relieve bloating. -A heating pad or a hot bath may ease abdominal discomfort. Over-the-counter anti-gas remedies, which often contain polyethylene glycol or simethicone, may also help. Hot water bag can also relieve your backache. If you had already taken any pain killer for back ache that can also be a cause for acidity. Take Rantac tablet twice a day on empty stomach to relieve acidity.

To expel intestinal gas, try taking a brisk walk or getting some other form of exercise. Frequent exercise can help keep the intestines working more efficiently and aid with digestion. If exercise fails, try lying quietly on your left side and bring your knees up to your chest. This position can sometimes help release trapped gas.

If the abdomen is tender to the touch or hard, kindly contact your physician to make sure that there is not some other underlying cause for the bloating. Persistent, progressive, or severe bloating, especially when accompanied by other symptoms and an increase in abdominal girth should not be ignored.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question I will be happy to help you.