Stomach ache, inflamed tonsils, given rocephin and augmentin, sonography done, density around appendice

My 5 year old son has had bad belly aches about 4 times this year. He cries cnstantly, it happens every 2-3 months. In may he was given rocephin shots fr 1 week they noticed his tonssils were very inflammaded and had a lot of crypts, then in september it happen again, cryptic tonssils with belly aches sonography revealed nothing, they prescribed augmentin for one week. Now less than a month after the pains starts again along with fever and whenever we press the abdomen he cries. They prescribed apo peniciline 3 times a day, the sono shows a density around the appendice and the surrounding of his urine sac is inflamded (4cm) his bloddtest shows the following: hemmoglobine 37, hematocrit 37, white cells 10.9, polyneutrophyls 71, lymphocytes 29, crp 20.8. Hes in a lot of pain plz help me
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query here.

I can understand what you must be going through, as well as your son. I have often seen that if the main symptom is of the abdomen, the cause is sooner or later, found in the abdomen. To assume that because he had large tonsils, therefore the pain is related to the tonsillar inflammation, is often an error of judgment.

I suggest that you ask the doctor to investigate him further with an abdominal CT. I suspect that he has been suffering from intermittent acute inflammation / infection of the appendix (appendicitis). He may require a removal of the appendix by surgery.

The facts that he has the attacks intermittently, that he is all right between the attacks, that the attacks are acute, and that the pain increases on pressure (is the pain more in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen?) - leads me to think of the above diagnosis and suggest the above-mentioned line of treatment. It's good to hear that he is already on a course of antibiotics which is essential in these cases.

I hope he is given the right direction of investigations and treatment, and he responds and gets well soon. Should you have any more queries with respect to my answer, I am available to address them.

Warm regards.

Dr. Taher Kagalwala,