Started the program to lose weight and reduced the carb intake. Noticed oily urine. What's wrong?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Question
I have started the program to lose weight and reduced the carb intake ; i see sometime my urine is oily ; i am not diabetic ; should i drink more water or increase the carb intake
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle

Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 21 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Cloudiness or "oiliness" in the urine can be due to the following:
1) Phosphaturia (presence of excessive phosphate in urine)
2) Bile pigments
3) Urinary tract infections
4) Chyluria
5) Dehydration can also make the urine appear more dense.

Firstly, I would suggest that you get a urine test done to rule out any of the above problems.

Secondly, drink plenty of water - at least 2 to 3 litres per day. You can also take Cranberry juice (available in supermarkets), which is a natural urinary anti-septic and can clear off any mild infections.

Thirdly, regarding your diet, it is important not to drastically cut down too much on the carbohydrate intake in your diet - as it can cause problems. At least 50 - 60 % of your dietary intake should be comprised of carbohydrates. Too less carbohydrate intake can result in excessive breakdown of fat and protein and it can result in a condition called "ketosis". So, it is important to balance your diet properly.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen

Follow-up: Started the program to lose weight and reduced the carb intake. Noticed oily urine. What's wrong? 2 hours later
IS the condition Ketosis is good or bad for the health ;

Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 2 hours later

Ketosis is definitely bad for health and should be not be allowed to happen.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen