Started testosterone therapy, chest spasms. Are the spasms anything to be concerned about?

I started testosterone therapy 5 weeks ago -- have had small spasms in left chest area for the past 3 weeks (I have always had heathy heart) -- are the spasms anything to be concerned about? I am 57 and in good health.
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

I can understand your concern for the symptoms but testosterone is unlikely to cause any muscle spasms in the chest area. Such spasms are common in dehydration, alterations in the balance of salts in the bloodstream (such as a high or low calcium, sodium or potassium level),neuropathy(esp in diabetes) and hypothyroidism.

Drink plenty of water and take a well balanced healthy diet. If the spasms persist then get your blood sugar levels and thyroid levels done. Also if you are having spasms in the cardiac area or having palpitations or atrial flutters then get an EKG heart done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.