Started taking novelon. Any chances of pregnancy after having unprotected sex?

Mar 2013
I am using novelon. today i took my 1st tablet. i want to have sex on 27th of this month.. is there any chances of pregnancy? my 21st tablet will end on 23rd of march as per the use... i am not ready to concieve.. can i have sex on 27th march safely? should i use emergency contraceptive pill the next day having sex?
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Firstly you are already suffering from irregular menstrual cycles.
In such a scenario, your ovulation is always unpredictable.
Moreover, this is just your second cycle of using Novelon.
Oral contraceptive pills are extremely effective, but they are more effective on prolonged use.
In your case, I would suggest that you regularly continue to take oral contraceptive pills without a gap or break. They would definitely protect you.
But I would still advise a back up method, ideally condoms for you, when you plan to have intercourse.
This would double your chances of protection against pregnancy, and also protect you from sexually transmitted diseases like HIV, HBsag etc, which are commonly spreading these days.

Emergency contraceptive pills are less reliable, and will disturb your normal menstrual cycle, which is already not regular.

Take care, have safe sex, and feel free to ask any further questions.
Follow-up: Started taking novelon. Any chances of pregnancy after having unprotected sex? 0 minute later
please tell me doctor... i nad my partner want to have sex on 27th of march 2013. today its my 4th day when i took 4th tablet of novelon. i have to continue it till 23rd of march. the expected date of my periods is 26th-27th march itself. can i delay it by continuing novelon till 27th? or suggest me some other medicine to delay periods till 27th. after having sex i will take PLAN ONE B within 24 hours.. still there is any chance of getting pregnant if i will get my periods normally within 2 weeks of having sex?
yes we have planned to use condom too.. my partner is supportive and we will take further care... but i am afraid. its my first time.. i dont want to get pregnant.. please help
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Hi again XXXXXXX,
If you continue taking Novelon without a break till 27th of March, you would not have your period till then.
That is for sure.
However, as I already said, the Novelon would protect you, and better is to use a condom, instead of emergency pill.
After emergency pill, your bleeding will be unreliable and irregular.
If you stop Novelon, then your period would come within 4 - 5 days.
That is why I am advising a condom for you.
Follow-up: Started taking novelon. Any chances of pregnancy after having unprotected sex? 5 minutes later
THANKYOU DOCTOR.. :-) yes we will use a condom. but still to prevent pregnancy i was thinking that i should also take the pill the very next day of having sex. if i get my periods after i stop taking novelon then there is no chance of pregnancy na? i am taking novelon everyday on time. without any break. but what if condom breaks ? so should i also take emergency pill?
if i continue to have NOVELON till 27th then surely there is no chance of my getting pregnant na? as my fertile period would be gone and we are using condom too.. but in case of any mishappening we have bought the emergency pill too. but it is effective when taken within 5 days. so i cant take chance by waiting for periods for 4-5 days by not taking novelon. so wahat should i do? Please help me..
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Firstly Novelon itself is more than 99 % effective.
Condoms further ensure safety.
Also, it would be most probably your safe period.
Nobody can guarantee anything except God :)
The only reliable way to prevent pregnancy is to prevent sex .
But then that doesnt make sense, does it?
So dont worry.
Do not combine all 3 methods - however in case the condom breaks, take the emergency pill immediately then.
Follow-up: Started taking novelon. Any chances of pregnancy after having unprotected sex? 9 minutes later
THANKS A LOT :-) okay i will not take emergency pill. but still what if i dont get my periods within 1 week? please suggest me something for that now only. because i am tensed... it is his birthday and i dint want to upset him. but i should take my care too. and thats why want to clear out EVERYTHING, every doubt. i cant consult any doctor directly or tell my parents so i am asking you. please please help me.. if i would not get my periods within a week then can i have a home pregnancy test? and what if it comes positive? suggest me something to prevent it too. any medicine?
PLEASE answer me doctor... help me. i am tensed.. how can we find that we are pregnant or not within 2-3 days after having sex? Novelon is effective i know. i had my irregular periods and it did continue for different interval of days but after finishing 1st cycle of novelon i had my periods lasting upto only 3 days... and now i am continuing my second cycle. i am just afraid of pregnancy and nothing else. HELP ME.. and THANK YOU AGAIN...
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
There is no way to detect a pregnancy 2-3 days after sex.
You would know only 2 weeks after conception, by a home pregnancy kit.
Also medical abortion is possible in that case, but after visiting a Gynecologist, not at home.
Since u are so freaked out about it, it's best to avoid sex.
Follow-up: Started taking novelon. Any chances of pregnancy after having unprotected sex? 39 minutes later
Good morning Doctor :-) .. THANKS.
i can't avoid sex... i will take care of the things u told me.. So i should continue NOVELON till 27th to delay periods and then use a condom while sex right? which is the best condom and best emergency pill? please tell me the names. and THANKYOU...
Have a great day ahead :-)
The Market is flooded with condoms,and the choice depends on your partner and his comfort. Durex is a good brand.
Ipill is a good brand for the emergency pill.
Follow-up: Started taking novelon. Any chances of pregnancy after having unprotected sex? 3 minutes later
anything else i should take care of?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
Read up on proper condom usage, and make sure it is followed.
Wash yourself thoroughly immediately after sex.
If it's the first time you are having sex, be prepared for bleeding due to hymen rupture, and do not panic about it.