Started sweating, fast heart beat, mild headache and sweaty. Suggest some immediate cure?

4 days ago I started sweating profusely and my heart started beating really fast and I had a mild headache. Then I started shaking real bad and had to lay down. I still have some sweating and I just feel real week and shaky. I smoke and drink a lot of caffeine. I haven't been eating right because I have been working 12+ hours a day since 06-29-12 as I am in the insurance business and we had a catastrophe storm. I don't want to waste 6 hours in the ER if there is something I can get over the counter?
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

It looks like you are suffering increased sympathetic activity due to excess coffee and smoking. It is common to have these symptoms when consumed in excess quantity. I advice you not to consume coffee and smoke over the next 24 hours for the heightened activity to stop and also have a nice wholesome meal as these symptoms could arise due to hypoglycemia as well.

Beta blockers can be used to treat the palpitation but without examination and checking your blood pressure it cannot be given as it might lead to other complications.

I strongly advice you to seek medical help if the symptoms persist. Please approach the ER if you develop chest pain, breathing difficulty or dizziness.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further ones please accept my answer

I wish you good health