Started itching inside ear. What should I do to get relief?

ENT Specialist
I'm having etching inside ear. I tried cleaning it using cotton buds but dint help much. can you suggest something? it's been there for 4-5 months now.

Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Ideally, the external ear canal is self cleansing and does not require regular cleaning. Itching may be due to dry ear wax flakes or referred sensations due to problems as far away as acidity.

2. In case there is an ear wax build-up, you may use an ear bud to gently clean the outer ear canal.

3. To do this safely, hold the ear bud 1 cm from the tip with two fingers and gently rotate the ear bud.

4. Any cleaning beyond this, or if you cannot hear well, should be done by an ENT Specialist under magnification. The external ear canal is 's' shaped and has a narrower portion in the middle. Hence pushing in an ear bud too XXXXXXX tends to push the ear wax past the narrow isthumus.

5. There are household remedies, such as warm water or oil, however they may not be suitable you if there is any eardrum problem or infection.

6. Before using ear wax dissolving drops it is also suggested that you should have an ear examination.

7. Ear itching may also occur due to scratching the delicate ear canal with dry cotton ear buds. These scratches itch when healing. This may then become a habit.

8. Ask for an anti-allergic and anti-reflux medication.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Started itching inside ear. What should I do to get relief? 23 minutes later
Thanks for reply. I think i should get it examined and cleaned.
Does it have anything to do with normal allergy i have?
I sneeze a lot even in office time which is relieved temporarily by anti-allergic tablet. Is there any permanent solution for that? i told you that i'm taking Montek LC for that.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Allergic Rhinitis may cause ear wax buildup.

2. In addition to Montek LC, you may require a steroid nasal spray and regular steam inhalation. These three are more effective than each used alone. However this should be done under the supervision of your doctor.

3. You have non-specific allergy, which is very common. There is no cure for allergy. Avoidance is the best way out. However allergy may be controlled

I hope I have answered your query. Please reply back with the answers and I will be able to help you further.