Started experiencing twitching in temple and elbow. Could this be caused by stress?

A few days ago I started experiencing twitching in my right temple and left elbow. Could this be caused by stress?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 55 minutes later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

Anxiety and stress can have psychological symptoms as well as physical symptoms. The physical symptoms of anxiety are quite vast and variable from person to person. The usual ones are headache, palpitations, increased sweating, hyperventillation, tremors of hands, muscle tightness, etc., but there can be many more also.

In your case, the twitches in your temple and elbow could very well be due to anxiety, especially if you are in the midst of a stressful period. Your symptoms do not co-relate with any particular medical diagnosis and moreover, muscle tightness and twitching are well known symptoms of anxiety.

I would suggest that you try out relaxation techniques / exercises. Breathing exercises, muscle relaxation exercises, music therapy and yoga / meditation have all been proven to be effective in relieving the physical symptoms of anxiety. You should also try to avoid mental stress and keep your mind distratced from anxious thoughts / ruminations. You can do this by keeping yourself engaged in doing things you enjoy and find relaxing. Another important thing is to keep talking to someone close to you (a friend or a relative) about your problems. Venting out your emotions periodically and having someone to acknowledge your difficulties and support you serves as a great de-stressor.

I hope that you will be able to try out these suggestions and benefit from them.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist