Started exercising after a long gap and found high heart rate. Is this normal?

My heart rate is high like more than 180, this week I started exercising after a long gap of about 1 year. I am 26 yrs old. Is this normal... I have to breathe heavily after walking fast for even less than a mile...
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Thanks for your query. Considering the long gap when you led a sedentary life, this is expected. I would expect your work performance/ exercise tolerance to gradually improve over time. Nothing to be alarmed as of now. If the symptoms persist beyond a point of time, you would require not only cardiac evaluation but also respiratory evaluation with possibilities like COPD to be ruled out. I would not suggest any intervention/investigation at this juncture.
Dr Sundar