Started doing exercise for last few month. Missing period. Should I consult a gynaecologist?

Mar 2016

I have been doing light exercise since last 5 months. This month I started doing crunches . My periods are 9 days late . I am not pregnant for sure. What should be the possible reason??? I am very worried about my delayed periods. Please suggest me some home remedy. and can i continue with my new exercise?? Should I go to some gynaecologist for some medical help or my period will come on its own after some time.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

We think normal if period date alters from 1-7 days. In case of late period for more than 7 days, exclusion of pregnancy is much needed if you are sexually active.

Beside pregnancy, other possible reasons for delayed period are ovarian cyst or PCOD, stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, thyroid problem (hypothyroid state), psychological factors, overweight or extreme weight loss etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as Ultrasound (USG) lower abdomen, hormone assay, blood sugar, thyroid profile etc.

The following measures or home remedy can be helpful:

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements. Food like carotene-based vegetables- pumpkin, peaches, carrot along with taking hot milk are quite helpful. Body heat generation by taking high amount of non-veg diet like red meat/ chicken is sometimes useful to get early period.
2) Try to avoid stress/ tension by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
3) Control body weight by regular light exercise (that you are doing).
4) Drink more water. Avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food stuffs.
5) Maintain personal hygiene & need proper sleeping with complete relaxation.
6) May need one psychological counseling to elevate mood/ stress relief.

Yes, you can continue light exercise which helps you in wide body circulation and improving mental strength.

You can wait for period maximum one week by following above said measures. But proper treatment depends on underlying causative factor. In that respect, you need to consult with a gynecologist for proper guidance through the tests after a physical examination if you are not getting period after a week.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Started doing exercise for last few month. Missing period. Should I consult a gynaecologist? 14 hours later
there is some very light white discharge today??? is anything serious??
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query. I am happy to help you.

Light white discharge may be seen prior to commence of period due to effect of progesterone hormone. If it is not associated with bad smell or itching, then you have nothing to worry. Maintenance of the genital hygiene is the key to get relief from this.

But one thing, you must consult with gynecologist in case of not getting period even after one week span.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen