Started diarrhea and vomiting. Took imodium. Noticed blood in stool. Should I be worried?

General Surgeon
On Sunday I had horrendous diarrhea all day and was also vomiting, I probably went to the toilet about 15 times at least and it was all just liquid. I tried to keep drinking water and ate a bit of rice and felt better around 10 that evening. Yesterday was better and I didn't need the toilet at all really and I also took some medication (imodium). Today I have taken one imodium and just went to the toilet, there wasn't that much faeces but it was more solid, but when I looked at the water it was bright red... should I be worried???!

Thanks in advance!
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your diarrhea were most likely caused by viral or bacterial infection. This is the most common reason of such symptoms and usually does not need medical attention (only diarrhea which lasts longer than 48 hours needs investigation). Blood in your stool can be due to recent infection or due to hemorrhoids (your anus could get irritated and wounded due to significantly increased amount of stools).
You are very young person so this blood in stool is not a serious symptom.
As you are better right now and diarrhea has subsided, I suggest you to keep observing your stool and if tomorrow you will get also blood in the stool, than you should visit your doctor and have stool tests performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.