Started brown spotting between periods. Taking dupaston 10mg. Had unprotected sex. Chances of pregnancy?

Question
Hi doctor,
I am a female 25 years old. My last period was on 29.9.12. On 19.10.12, I had brown spotting for almost 8 or 9 days after which I started to take duphaston 10 mg tablets twice daily starting from 22.10.12 to 28.10.12. I had unprotected sex on 29.10.12. My last cycle lasted 38 days and the previous cycle lasted 25 days. I had a pregnancy test on 5.11.12 night and it was negative. Is there any chance that I can be pregnant?
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 16 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Yes, any unprotected intercourse can make you pregnant.

Since you have irregular cycles so your ovulation time cannot be commented.
However considering you had spotting for 9 days after 19th october, you were in your fertile period when you had intercourse.

Also I would like to know the reason why you took duphaston after you had spotting. If it was to prevent pregnancy, then it does not have any such role.

Kindly revert back if you have further queries.

Follow-up: Started brown spotting between periods. Taking dupaston 10mg. Had unprotected sex. Chances of pregnancy? 7 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I was actually advised by one of the doctors to take duphaston to stop the bleeding/spotting which I thought was abnormal. Actually I am not intending to become pregnant. And I will test again tomorrow morning for pregnancy. How long do I have to wait before knowing for sure wether I am pregnant or no?

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 15 minutes later
Hello there.

You are welcome for queries.

Urine Pregnancy test comes positive only on the day of missed period or after that.
In your case you can test for your pregnancy considering your average cycle length in the last 6 months for calculating your expected menses date.

A blood test for pregnancy can come positive even earlier usually a week after ovulation.

In your case you have irregular periods so it might be difficult for you to do a test as per your period dates.

Pregnancy test is most accurate 4 weeks after conception, so try taking it 4 weeks after the date you had sex.
If it comes negative, wait a week and try again.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Started brown spotting between periods. Taking dupaston 10mg. Had unprotected sex. Chances of pregnancy? 14 hours later
Hello doctor,

Thanks again for your quick reply. My next question is if I do find out that I am pregnant, what are my options to terminate the pregnancy at this early stage, as I was not planning to become pregnant and I am not ready to have a baby yet. And is there something possible that I can do at home during such an early stage to abort the pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 37 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

You can go for a medical or a surgical method of abortion.

A medical abortion (abortion with drugs) can be taken at home.
But for this you have to consult a gynecologist. It is only after the examination and prescription of a doctor that you should go ahead with medical abortion.

Abortion is not safe if you take self medication without consulting a gynecologist.
This is because proper dose, timing and method is very important for a medical abortion to be effective.

An ultrasound before medical abortion is also very important to know the site and size of pregnancy when you desire abortion.

So if you turn positive, do consult a gynecologist. You can choose medical method of termination if your size and site of pregnancy permits (it should be less than 7 weeks and in the uterus).

You can revert back if you have further queries.