Started bleeding after taking morning after pill. Missing periods. PG test negative. Is this normal?

I find this hard to discuss.......I had to take the morning after pill around the beginning of XXXXXXX (a few weeks after my prior period) and started bleeding a few days later. 2wks later I had to take it again (16th June) and again I started bleeding a few days later. However I haven't had a period since i.e. since around 20th XXXXXXX I have taken 2 pregnancy tests last week but they both came back negative. Just to compound the situation a condom failed this last weekend and I've taken the morning after pill for the third time. However I haven't even started to bleed as I have previously when taking it. Is this normal? Please note I am 37 years old and have only ever taken the morning after pill 4 times in my life. I'm embarrassed by my situation but am not an irresponsible person.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Morning after pill can prevent up to 86% of expected pregnancies if taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.
One of its side effect is menstrual irregularity. Period may come early or late depending upon when you take this medicine with regard to your natural cycle.
Your period may come early, if you took it during the first 1/2 of your cycle or it may come late if you have taken it during the later half of your cycle.Since you took it last weekend, your periods are now delayed.
Since your pregnancy test is negative, there is nothing to worry. You can consult your gynecologist for necessary hormonal tablets to have a normal period.

That said, I must warn you that, taking this medicine in this pattern is not a good habit & can prove detrimental to your reproductive health. Rather you should opt for a regular, safer & more reliable contraception. You may discuss this matter at a family planning clinic or with a Gynecologist in your area.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.