Stage 2b breast cancer. Biopsy of groin node came negative. On aromason. Is this a death sentence?

i was diagnosed 1998 with stage 2b erpositive breast cancer. in XXXXXXX of this year my tumor markers XXXXXXX to 104. i had a bone scan, cat scan, pet scan. three nodes lit up. one in my groin two deep in my chest wall/armpit. i had an excisional biopsy of the groin node and it was negative-hyperplasia. my onc put me on aromason and said i am now stage 4. it is not in my organs or bones-as of this summer. i go in a week to see him and get my markers checked. is this a death sentence
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, it is not

Detailed Answer:
First of all, I am not sure whether this is relapse of your breast cancer or something else. Tumor markers are non specific and the biopsy was negative. Even if I consider it as relapse, there is only minimal disease burden and there is a long disease free interval. Hence there is a good probability that it would respond to endocrine therapy like aromasin. So, it is not a death sentence. You may enjoy long life with good quality of life.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Stage 2b breast cancer. Biopsy of groin node came negative. On aromason. Is this a death sentence? 39 hours later
Since I had all the scans this summer, is it probable that I have mets that did not show up on the scans and now they are? Should I be having symptoms? I am on aromasin, and I have achy muscles and joints. is that a side effect? I am so scared I am filled with breast cancer mets.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please refer below

Detailed Answer:
First of all, I don't think that you are filled with mets as then you would have had lot of symptoms. Not having symptoms is good. The bone and joint pains are probably due to aromasin. As you do not have any symptoms and the disease had a high probability of responding to aromasin, I don't think you will have new mets this time.

All the best.