Stage 1 Lung Cancer. Should go for surgery or chemo?

Confused about tx
Was diagnosed yesterday with Limital Small cell Lung cancer Stage 1B.The nodule is confined to the upper part of the lower left lobe.There is no spread as far as they know.It was recommended to do chemo.My question is why dont they surgically remove this portion of the lung first instead of trying the chemo first?I am very scared to say say the least.Dr says I was lucky it hasnt spread but am still confused in alot of ways.He is saying it was a good diagnosis.It was found on an accidental chest xray
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Anil Thakwani 4 hours later

First of all you should know that this is different from NSClung (Non small cell lung carcinoma) carcinoma in that it progresses very fast but the good part is that it is chemo and radiosensitive and usually it has microscopic spread even in limited stage of disease so surgery has no role and it wont have survival advantage.

So the right treatment in this case would be :
radiotherapy- 50-55Gy to the primary disease with concurrent chemotherapy with Cisplatin/carboplatin +Etoposide.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further

Dr XXXXXXX thakwani