Sputum from the throat. Presence of cocci in pairs in the throat swab. Reasons?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had my results Rare WBC, Rare Gram Positive cocci in pairs and chains, <25 Epithelial cells. What does this mean. I have alot of bubble and string sputum coming out of my throat.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later

Presence of cocci in pairs or chains in a throat swab is suggestive of a Bacterial throat infection.
Broad spectrum antibiotics are needed for treatment according to the culture sensitivity report for relief. You can start taking them in consultation with your physician who will tell you the most appropriate schedule after proper examination. Usually it is associated with difficulty in swallowing, cough and fever.

You can have salt water gargles (gargle with lukewarm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids.

Avoid acidic drinks, spicy food and sour substances.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.