Sprain in left feet, prescribed carnisure & hot fomentation, little inflammation in x-ray, regular runner. Advise?

Pulmonologist
Question
Dear Dr. Hello! I am a regular runner have been comfortably running 7.5kms daily and even targeted 15 kms once a week to prepare myself for 21 kms marathon which will be held on 27th nov,2011 at Delhi. I developed sprain in my left feet and doctor says to avoid marathon Carnisure has been prescribed and hot fomentation. X-ray report shows no cracks anywhere but a little inflammation. Kindly suggest, I don't want to miss have been practicing since last 6 months.

regards,
Vivek
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

First let me tell you that sprain recurs in the following conditions:
1. People with a 1st degree ankle sprains are susceptible for 2nd and 3rd degree ankle sprains if they don't rest.
2. Somebody who didn't recover 100 percent from his last ankle sprain.

Secondly, any sprain takes a minimum of 2-3 weeks to heal completely, though the pain and swelling subide in 3 to 4 days.

Any rehabilitation exercises should not be done during the first 3 days.

Therefore, I suggest that you as per your doctors advice, you should not participate in the marathon else you will be risking recurrence of the sprain and there are high chances that the recurrence may be of a higher degree.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sprain in left feet, prescribed carnisure & hot fomentation, little inflammation in x-ray, regular runner. Advise? 21 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

As mentioned by you. I didn't take take in between my practice so could be the reason..Can right kind of the running shoes help in not getting such thing repeated again..What if I run with ankle support crepe specially meant for it or should I drop this year..Can you finally suggest the final call on this..

regards,
Vivek

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 19 minutes later

Thanks for following up query.

After analysing your history, I would suggest you should not participate in the marathon this year. The risk is too high to have a recurrence of sprain which might be of a higher degree.

Regarding the kind of running shoes, you should visit a sports physiotherapist personally who will not only guide you regarding the type of shoes but also details regarding warm up/ the posture during running /the correct technique to be followed during marathon and many such points.

You should participate in the marathon next year with full preparation and vigor rather than risking yourself injury by participating not 100% fit this year.

Regards.