Spotting with mucus discharge, no periods since months. History of fibroids. Cause of symptoms?

I am 45 yrs old havent had my period in over 8 months I was RX with fibroids about 3 yrs ago. I have been spotting with bloodu mucous discharge for about 2 weeks now today is was passing small blood clots
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 17 minutes later

Considering your age, it appears as though you are in to perimenopausal stage. As you did not have a period for the past eight months, you could be having a breakthrough bleeding now. Yet, I would advice you to see your consultant and have a physical exam to rule out other causes for the bleed. You may also have a trans-vaginal/pelvic sonogram to see any pelvic pathology. You may need a pap smear, a hormonal profile etc.

The fibroids need not recur; in fact as one approaches menopause, any fibroids that exist begin to regress.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.