Spotting before menstrual cycle, back and limb ache, not painful, discomfort. What could this be?

I had slight spotting that lasted not even a full day early last week which is one week before my menstrual cycle begins. And this is not normal. For the past few days I have been having slight aches in my back, arms, legs and feet. Not painful but uncomfortable. I've noticed that the aches come on once I lay down and rarely when I am not. What could this be? How can I get rid of it? I have no medical conditions and am pretty much healthy.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Mild spotting one week before the expected date of your periods can happen due to stress, anxiety, minor hormonal imbalance, cervical erosion or vaginal infections. The symptoms of generalised body aches is commonly associated with systemic viral infections.
If the vaginal bleeding has happened for the first tme then you can ignore it and wait for any recurrences in future.
The generalised body aches can be taken care of by taking mild analgesic like acetaminophen.
You need to self monitor for any abnormal vaginal discharge , its color and smell.
In case there is a change in vaginal discharge then you need to get a vaginal swab test done to find out the type of infection.
Usually oral antibiotics and antifungal agents are needed for treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.