Spots on penis glands, cytology test results normal. Cancer?

Need second opinion

Dear Doctor,

About two weeks ago I noticed a spot (more like a patch but not thick, and not too strange tissue) of about 5 mm in diam. on my penis glans (glands). The color is not much different from the rest of the glans (glands). I am uncircumcised. This thing does not hurt; there is no itching or burning. It could be a result of masturbation without a lubricant, like an irritated skin. (is it possible to attach here a photo?)

I went to a generalist (in France) with the concern of a cancer. He told me that it did not look like anything bad. He also prescribed a blood test (including test for all infections like HIV etc), urine test, the bacteriology test of the glans (glands) and the cytology test of the glans (glands) to calm me down. The results did not reveal anything bad according to the doctor. He thinks it is some kind of irritation and there is nothing to worry about. He prescribed a cream.

The question to you is: can I trust the cytology test results? The test has been done by brushing the glans (glands) with a cotton stick. The person, who did the test, also told me that it did not look like a cancer.

If it is indeed nothing to worry about, then why does it take so long to heal? Is it normal? Already the third week and I do not see any significant change.

Thank you for your advice.

I forgot to mention that I am 40 y.o.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 52 minutes later

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Is the lesion raised above the surface.
2) Do you observe any change in shape or size in last 2 weeks.

I would like to see the lesion clinically before I can give any firm answer.You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

According to the current description it seems to be a Balanitis (inflammation ) of glans penis or may be just a erosion from friction due to masturbation.

It would be difficult to comment on some bodies cytology report,but the best test would be a skin biopsy to rule out any carcinoma.

If you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Follow-up: Spots on penis glands, cytology test results normal. Cancer? 8 days later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions:

1. I would say it is not raised, or if raised then just a tiny bit.

2. I have not noticed any changes.

In my original post I attached a link to the photos of the glans, but the moderator removed the link.

How else can I show the photos to you? Can I send them to your email?

Best regards,

Please see the photos here

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 6 hours later

Thank you for the reply,

Sorry to say that the link you had send did not open .

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

With the description it seems to be either a candidial balanitis(fungal origin) or a zoons balanitis.

The best way to investigate would be to get a KOH examination done (to rule out fungal infection) and a skin biopsy( to rule out zoons balanitis).

Perhaps a visit to competent dermatologist to get these tests done would also confirm the diagnosis.

Dr.Bharat chawda