Spitting saliva, throat burn, short of breath, bloating. GERD?

Lately I've been having the following symptoms:

- Spitting up excess amounts of Saliva after I eat
- An occasional slight burn in the throat (not painful)
- An occassional feeling of being short of breath
- Bloating occassionaly however this is less frequent

* After my own research it sounds like it could be some form of Reflux (GERD, etc.....) but I'm not positive, can you please help?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 minutes later

Your symptoms do sound very suspicious for possible reflux-related gastritis and or esophagitis. What happens in this process is that excess amounts of acid from the stomach reflux upwards into the bottom of the esophagus and cause irritation in that area and sometimes pain. This can create a constellation of symptoms including bloating, sore throat, saliva production and even some difficulty with breathing.

A number of things can trigger reflux including: diet high in fatty or greasy foods, stress level, caffeine or alcohol. I would suggest to you a trial of an acid suppressing medication for the next 4 to 6 weeks. i would suggest Prilosec which is available over the counter and I would take it once daily with breakfast. Over the next several weeks i would expect your symptoms to slowly improve.

GERD is extremely common and very treatable and it sounds like this is what is really going on in your case.

I hope you have found my reply to be both informative and helpful. If needed, I am available for your followups.

Dr. Robert Galamaga
Follow-up: Spitting saliva, throat burn, short of breath, bloating. GERD? 3 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

Is this is a serious condition, when I do feel short of breath I worry that my throat will close up and won't be able to breathe at all.

Also, I read that GERD can sometimes lead to cancer of the esophagus - should I be worrid about this? Should I see a Dr or simple take the medicine you perscribed- thanks again
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hi again.

I would say this is not serious. Proceed with treatment with the acid suppressing medication for a few weeks and I believe the breathing issues you're experiencing will resolve.

GERD can cause changes in the esophagus or lead to cancer BUT that is in cases where people have longstanding reflux for years.

I would take the medicine and see a doctor if your symptoms have not resolved within 4 weeks.

Thank you again for your query.

Dr. Galamaga