Sperm analysis showed normal count with markedly reduced motility. Can I impregnate my wife?

Infertility Specialist
Hi Doctor,
I have done my sperm test today.
Results as follows:
Volume: 1.5 ml
Fructose: Detected
Color: Gray-White
Liquification: 20 minutes
Motility Progressive: 5%
Motility Non-Progressive: 20%
Motility Immotile: 75%

Sperm Count: 23 mill/ml
Normal Forms:83%
Abnormal Forms:17%
Globular Heads: Seen
Micro Heads: Seen
Pin Heads: Seen
Gaint Heads: Not Seen
Double Heads: Not Seen
Short Tail: Seen
Curled: Seen
Bitail: Not seen
Red Cells: Not Detected
Pus Cells:1-2
Epithelial Cells:0-1
Crystals: Not Detected
Amorphous Deposit: Not Detected
Bacterial: Not Detected
Impression: Normal count with markedly reduced motility.

Sir , is it possible that my wife will still conceive, even though , my sperm shows low motility.

Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply : 1) Your sperm count is absolutely normal. 2) Sperm motility is below average. Though 75 % of sperms are immotile, considering count and other parameters, your semen analysis is satisfactory and not a reason to worry. 3) your semen does not seem to be only reason for infertility; 4) I want your wife to undergo following tests to analyse your reproductive potential : Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to check fallopian tubes 5) Get following blood tests for her : TSH, AMH anytime, serum prolactin (fasting state), 6) On second day of her periods get blood tests : Serum FSH & LH. 
If tests are normal, you go ahead with procedure called IUI ( Intra uterine insemination) where your sperms are washed and transferred into your wife's womb at the time of ovulation by gynecologist. I hope I answered your query. I will be available for the follow up query you have. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF and infertility specialist.
Follow-up: Sperm analysis showed normal count with markedly reduced motility. Can I impregnate my wife? 6 hours later
Good Morning Doctor,
Your reply has really put my mind in ease. Also want you to know that my wife cycle are irregular (once in 2 months) with ploycystic. So i have few question here:

1) Is there any reason for my sperm low motility ? because i don't drink and smoke, but i do sit in my office for long hours(approx 10 to 12 hours per day).

2) Is there any medication i can take to improve my sperm motility?, beacause i really wanted/hoping the pregnancy to happen in a natural way.

3)Is it mandatory or recommended to remove Ploycycstic ovary as she weighs 83 Kgs and 5'5 height.She is taking melemet 500 twice a day and Folic Acid one tablet every day.She is too lazy/busy to exercise.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 53 minutes later

glad to see your detailed reply. Now I have complete picture.

1) First and very important thing is to reduce your wife's weight. She has to loose atleast 10 kgs by diet and excercise under trained personnel. No excuse of busy or lazy. If she wants to conceive she has to loose weight.

2) even 5% weight loss leads to doubling chance of pregnancy.

3) Since cycles are irregular, please let her undergo transvaginal Follicular growth monitoring to know the dominant follicle size and appropriate time to have take antioxidant medications to improve your sperm motility. Prescription can be obtained by your gynecologist as we dont prescribe medicines according to rules on health care magic.

5) Since your job involves sitting for long, I suggest you take break every 2 hours and walk for 5 minutes.

6) Wear loose pants and undergarments and see to it that scrotal temperature is not raised significantly.

I hope I answered your query.

Dr.,Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist
Follow-up: Sperm analysis showed normal count with markedly reduced motility. Can I impregnate my wife? 17 minutes later

Thank you soo much for the comprehensive response,its really helping us to have optimistic mind.

Yes, will surely let my wife reduce weight , just a small question should I let my wife polycystic ovary get removed by laproscopy or reducing weight will help us.

Also will following above process (in your last reply), will let my wife conceive naturally ?

Thank you once again and appreciate your kind and early response....

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I am happy that my answers have been of help to you.

1) First your wife should reduce weight. Keep a target of 6 months. Please do it under a professional dietician and physical trainer.

2) If she cant reduce weight in 6 months, please go ahead with laparosopic drilling of polycystic ovaries and further treatment without delay.

3) she has chances of natural conception provided she looses weight.

I hope I answered your query. Please accept my answer and write a review if my answers have been of help.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist