Sore toe on left foot. What does it indicate?

Psychiatrist
Question
I had a very sore toe on my left foot. After looking at it more closely I noticed that the pad is black on my second and last toes. Black only of the pad.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs medical attention Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. There are two possibilities: 1) It could be a bruise. Many times some trivial injury will lead to a bruise. This bruise changes its colour to black after some time cause of the changes in hemoglobin. In that case this will resolve slowly. 2) The second possibility is something I am more worried about. it is possible for it to be a gangrene. Gangrene can have multiple causes but the typical location is the one that you have stated and the lesion is very painful. Both the conditions will require local examination of the area. Either you upload some pics or get it shown to a surgeon. He would like to order some tests like blood sugars, doppler USG etc. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Sore toe on left foot. What does it indicate? 15 minutes later
I am not a diabetic. Blood panels came out fine. I do however tend to get clumsy with my toes and I also noticed that the black subsided once my toes warmed up a little.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Is it peripheral cynosis? Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the updates. I would suggest that you should go ahead with the surgical consultation for the blackening. Another trivial cause could be peripheral cynosis which can occur in cold weather. Cynosis is not well demarcated as the other two conditions mentioned. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy