Sore throat, persistent cough, throat pain, ear pain, fleshy lump between collarbone, painless. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am a 52 year old woman, generally in good health, a moderate drinker and have never smoked. I have had a sore throat and persistant cough for three weeks and now have pains in my throat and left ear. I noticed yesterday a small fleshy lump between the two bony edges of my collarbone. This is painless and moves around if I prod it. Please can you give me some advice?
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
A sore throat and persistent cough for three weeks with a palpable lymph node ( lump between collar bones) looks like Pharyngitis. It may be caused by either viral or bacterial infections.

Common viruses, and even the viruses that cause Mononucleosis (mono) and the Flu, can cause a sore throat. Sinus drainage (post nasal drip) and bacteria like streptococcus can also cause a sore throat.
Pain in the left ear is due to the congestion caused by the throat infection.
Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.

Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial Pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.