Sore throat, fever, brownish spots on the roof of the mouth. Causes?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 12 year old has a severe sore throat, has been running fever for 2 days and has brownish-red spots on the roof of his mouth. ???
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Brownish red spots on oral mucosa could be signs of a viral infection or a significant bactetial infection causing petechial rash i.e small spots caused by bleeding of minute blood vessels or capillaries.
As currently he is not under any antibiotic therapy, I would suggest you consult his pediatrician for a thorough examination and if required few tests like the complete blood picture, throat swabs etc to confirm the diagnosis.The treatment would depend on the diagnosis mostly oral antibiotics or antiviral.
Please do not panic as the present situation is not an emergency, but definitely warrants further investigation and treatment by a doctor.
Till then ,
Give your child plenty of water and other fluids.
Make him do warm saline gargles thrice daily.
Continue the antipyretics like tylenol for fever.
If he develops any spots elsewhere on the body, or vomiting or dizziness or swelling of lips or tongue then seek prompt consultation.
Hope I have answered your query.