Sore throat, bump in mouth, swollen and then shrunk, no pain. Wondering what this might be?

Question
About 10 years ago I had a mild sore throat and a small bump formed in the back of my mouth, near my throat. Specifically, it is just below the very back of my lower gum, behind and below my wisdom tooth. It swelled up for a few days and then shrunk but didn't completely go away. I just noticed a few days ago the bump (not swollen, still very small and painless) is still there. It has never swollen again, never caused pain, etc, but is still there, albeit not swollen and rather small.

I just wondered what this might be?
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

From the symptoms three possibilities are coming to my mind. They are:

1)     It can be a swollen and calcified lymph node since you had it after sore throat. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy.

4)     Second possibility is of any cyst which is a small cystic swelling filled with a soft, whitish brown material called sebum that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. It can regress in size when the sebum decreases.

5)     Third possibility is of any benign tumor as it is usually present throughout.

You can get an ultrasound of the area done. The best test for confirmation of this lump is a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump which should be got done after consulting a physician. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. Then the material is looked under the microscope to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Sore throat, bump in mouth, swollen and then shrunk, no pain. Wondering what this might be? 29 minutes later
I thought of it being a lymph node, but it is actually in my mouth and protrudes from the skin, not under it like the lymph nodes doctors have checked on in the past. Does that desciption change anything?

Also, does the fact that it has been there, as I remembered more, it's actually been 12 years, with no changes, mean anything?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me with the clarification.

Considering the symptom that the lump is present inside the mouth, it can be a pustule on the tonsils abscess on tonsils or a vocal cord polyp. Lumps or swellings in the center of the throat (on the front of the neck) may represent small cysts or nodules in the thyroid gland

You need to get it checked from an ENT specialist as physical examination and investigations like endoscopy may be required to confirm the diagnosis.

Follow-up: Sore throat, bump in mouth, swollen and then shrunk, no pain. Wondering what this might be? 7 hours later
Yesterday I was pushing on it a lot and kept putting pressure on it. When I woke up today it had shrunk by quite a bit. It's not gone, but it is certainly smaller than it was - I feel like I may have "popped" it or caused it to drain some?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Tonsil cyst is a small white lesion or spot on a tonsil. It is a pouch-like vesicle filled with fluid or pus typically protruding from a tonsil. My suggestion is to get an ENT check up done to confirm the diagnosis. A benign tonsil cyst can become infected if not treated in a timely manner.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.