Sore in vagina, looks like canker sore, have not had sex so cannot be STD. Should I go to a doctor?

Question
Hi im 20 years old and i have a sore on the inner part of my vagina and it possibly can be from me accidentally cutting it and it looks like a canker sore. I have not had sex in over a year so it can't be an std right ? Also not sure what i should do, should i go to the doctor or not ?
Thanks
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 33 minutes later

Vaginal sore can be due to sexually or non sexually transmitted causes but as you have explained that you did not have intercourse for a long duration so sexual causes can be ruled out.

It might be due to dermatitis,vulvovaginitis,allergic reaction or an infected hair follicle caused due to shaving which can form abscess.

Some measures for you:

1)Have Sitz bath :fill a tub with hot water and add some Epsom salt crystals in it.The temperature of water should be comfortable for you to tolerate.Sit in this with your buttocks and genital area dipped twice daily.It helps to relieve sore.

2)Avoid intercourse,bubble bath,douching,cosmetic use for sometime.

3)Wear loose cotton undies.

4)Keep the area dry and apply Neosporin powder on it.

If it increases in size or is associated with pain,discharge etc then consider visiting a Physician for evaluation so that appropriate treatment can be started after physical examination.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.